Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Sirens and Tape

Just driving along. Thinking about the Haunted House set that I am helping to build for the Jaycees. A great project that supports all our other community events throughout the year. Then I notice the pretty lights in the rearview mirror. Wow they are coming up fast. They must be in a hurry. I’ll pull out of the way and let them pass like a good citizen. Wait they pulled over too. Why? I signaled. My lights are on. I stopped for the red light…. Tap, tap, tap on the window. “Yes?” “Do you know why I pulled you over?” I am thinking at this point “No I didn’t know I was being pulled over.” I just replied “No.” Apparently, I was going 45 in a 25. Now the road is a 35, I have gone back to check, for the entire length except 100 yards from the stop light which I can only assume since I stopped there that I was slowing down, could be wrong. I can’t prove anything. So I have decided to get revenge. Next time we do a fundraiser for the local police department I will be chair and keep a fee for my services. About $105 should do the trick. Can you believe that! The fine was only $25. Then there was the privilege to be pulled over tax, the thank you for driving in town tax and whatever else they can think of.

Meanwhile the construction is still going. Yesterday I skipped building the Haunted House to work on building in my own house. Mr. Toad was threatening me if progress was not made in the kitchen. My guess is that he could have done it but he has not forgiven meL. I thought he had. So I am going along finishing the seams in the drywall and covering nails when I get to a corner. I am not paying attention. But after a few minutes I notice the piece is moving. Why would the drywall move? Mr. Toad who was in charge of screwing had forgotten to put all the screws into this piece. I have several comments at the tip of my keyboard but will leave this alone. Anyway the taping is done or at least the first round is done. I looked like I had rolled in the mud. Tonight I will look like a ghost as I sand down all the bumps I left with my version of taping. The dust will fly and the kitchen will turn white.

No comments: