Tuesday, September 20, 2005

So I continue on with the blog world trying to find my writing style. This is something that I should have learned long ago in school or writing in a diary but I was never very good at those things. I have a half dozen diaries started and I am always good for a few weeks but then more interesting things come along and the diary gets forgotten for months or years. I wish that I had kept one at least of the great adventures I had with my friends.

When I was in first grade I met a girl who was to become one of my best friends. Brownies brought us together. I was taller at the time but this would not be true ten years later. We spent a great amount of time together selling cookies and running wild in her neighborhood. I always had to visit her because her parents didn't like to drive her all the way out in the country to visit. My first discovery of what a great friend I had truely found came several years later. I was in fourth grade and we were at a lock-in for the Girl Scouts. There were games, singing, dancing and swimming. It was the swimming that taught me my first lesson in friendship. While walking along the deck (yes I was walking, there are witnesses) I slipped and fell. As the floor raced up to meet me I stuck my hand out and caught myself. This seemed like a very natural thing at the time except the black and blue wrist that was growing. My troop leader declared I had sprained my wrist and everything would be ok. I was not convinced and refused to participate the rest of the night. My friend raced to my side and sat with me all night. She gave up all the games, singing, dancing and swimming to sit with me while I pouted. The next day as parents came driving up she refused to leave my side until my parents arrived.

Later that day the hospital declaired my wrist broken and wrapped it up tight in a cast.

3 comments:

Julia Reffner said...

Youch! I didn't know you broke your wrist. And now I am curios which person it is that you are referring to. hmmm. Of course I wasn't even around until about 4th grade but hey. You never know who I'll know. I was never very good at keeping journals either. I wouldn't worry to hard about finding your writing style either. In my experience a persons writing style is often what happens to them while they are involved in other things. ie writing entertaining little naratives. In short you don't so much find your writing style as it finds you. Keep writing. You're doing a great job.

The Lumpy

Unknown said...

Yes this is a person you knew. She is no longer with us. There may be a few more stories about her as I go along though. I have thought often about writing down times I remember with her so I don't forget.

Were you around as early as 4th grade? I don't remember you until 9th when I discovered just saying hi to you made you blush. Oh such good times torturing teenage boys.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll get there. This is a fun experience.

Julia Reffner said...

I am giving you the raspberry right now. lpbpbpbpbpbp